Multiple Automatic Discounts being applied

• Default avatar
    simon13    
     9 years ago

Hello

I thought I had this figured out, but seems to have reverted.

I want to offer a different free product depending on whether the customer has spent 50, 75, or 120 $

I've set up three coupons, and then, I've set them up under automatic discounts.

I've gone into COnfiguratoin and told it to limit coupons to 1 per customer, for All, and also for Automatic discounts

But now when I make a purchase for say 120$ it adds all three products into the basket.

I had thought yesterday when I set this up that it all worked fine. But I've gone in now and changed the products being offered for the coupons, and now it insists on adding all three, or all two (for 75 - 120$) coupons products to the basket.

It seems like the configuration files are not activating....?? or something? I have VM payment published
    any suggestions?

thanks

Simon
  • Default avatar
    simon13    
     9 years ago

i see the problem was zeroing the price.

I've gone back in and made the products have a price of 0.01$

and now it works....

but what i want is to add those products for free to the basket....which is what buy X get Y means of course

so i must be missing something....

can someone please explain how I make the price of the Y item free in the correct manner?

thanks...
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     9 years ago

Hello,

I dont fully follow. They buy x get y is a coupon which would give a discount on product get y as specified by the admin. Do you have the get y product set to value of 0 and basically trying to use the coupon to automatically add it to the cart?
  • Default avatar
    simon13    
     9 years ago

Hello

Thanks for your reply.

yes, that's essentially right. I want to give the customer a totally free product (that I choose) if they spend more than $50.

If they spend more than $75, I want to give them a different free product (one that is more valuable).

And for a spend of over $120, I want to give a different product again.

So I want one free product to be added to the shopping cart, depending on the spend. And then i don't want the cart total to increase.

So, I tried to do this by setting the prices of all three products to zero (in virtuemart). But when I did this, if a customer spends more thn $120 it then puts all three products into the customers basket. If they spend between $75 and $120 it puts two products in. In other words, for some reason it is ignoring the instruction on the COnfiguration page to limit the number of coupons applied for automatic discount. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether i set the price to zero on the product price itself, or as an override.

So I wonder if there is a way to do this?

My workaround, to repeat, which is working, is to set prices to 1 cent. Then everything works, but my free gift costs the customer 1 cent. not too shabby a deal :-) but not ideal.

Thanks for your help

cheers
    simon
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     9 years ago

Hi Simon,

Why dont you price the products at their regular price, not just 1 cent. Then when creating the buy x get y coupons you set:

Percent of Amount: Percent
    Value: 100
    Maximum Discount Qty: 1

This will add the product to the cart at the normal price and at the same time add a discount to the product of 100% which gives it to the customer for free.
  • Default avatar
    simon13    
     9 years ago

Hello

Thanks for your help so far. I got it all set up, and it is all working except for one small glitch.

Reminder of what i am trying to do: the customer will qualify for a different free gift if their order is greater than $50, $75, or $120.

I only want them to have one free gift.

The problem occurs when I make a change in the shopping basket in which the added new products qualify for a gift on their own, and in addition, the whole order is bumped up to the level. Easiest to explain is with an example. I put in the basket a product of value $15.

Total $15.

Now I add quantity 2 of another product at $26....

The basket now adds in the free gift for $50, and the free gift for $75. It also displays an error code 1 relating to the second coupon.

However, on other combinations of coupons, it works fine. It just gets itself into a tangle when it adds to the basket an amount which on its own would qualify for a coupon, and also changes the overall coupon.

The site is solaroma.com.

I've set up my three coupons under automatic discount. I've set up the max to 1 in the config. should I perhaps set up the three coupons under a Parent and have the parent then in the automatic discount?

help?

thanks
  • Default avatar
    simon13    
     9 years ago

my problem now is that it is permitting multiple coupons to be applied to the same order. i dont want this.

they should only get one free gift, but at the moment, the system gives them a free gift once the order hits $50, and then if they keep adding products, and take it over $75, it adds a second free gift, but doesn't remove the first one.

It then applies one single discount at the bottom, making the second free gift truly free, but the first one has been added now to the customers shopping cart at full price. it should havae been removed when the new higher coupon was applied.

it seems like the config file is not overruling the shopping basket? where could I be going wrong?

cheers
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     9 years ago

Yes, I would use a parent coupon.

Are you saying that the gift added bumps the coupon qualification from $50 to $75? If so when setting up the buy x get y coupon, set the minimum value to "specific" and make sure the free gifts is not in the "buy x".
  • Default avatar
    simon13    
     9 years ago

Hi

thanks for your replies. ok, i've done as you've suggest. I've set them to Specific. I've set it up as a parent.

It all works fine now....

except:

it still has the problem that if the customer makes a basket, qualifies for one level discount, then changes a quantity of an item to bump up the order total to the next level, the basket displays both coupons, the lower value one and the higher value.

The higher value is discounted out correctly, but the lower value one now appears on the checkout total.

So, I have everything set to only allowing 1 coupon, I think, but it persists...

how can i get it to only display the highest coupon in that case please?

thanks

cheers

• Your avatar
    seyi    
     9 years ago

This is a limitation of the automatically add get y to the cart. It only adds it does not remove.
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     9 years ago

How did you set up the parent coupon?

Order they coupons from highest value to lowest value, then set 'process type' to 'first found match'.

Doing it this way it should only ever process 1 coupon.
  • Default avatar
    simon13    
     9 years ago

thats exactly how ive got it.

and it is still doing it.

i take an item that costs $10. I add 12 of them to the basket for a total of $120.

It gives me the highest value free gift, priced at $24, which it then deducts. all good.

now i go in and change the quantity to 8....

now the basket shows 8 of my $10 items, plus the original high value gift at $24, plus the middle value gift now at $15, and then a discount for$15

so the higher value gift has not been deleted, and two coupons are being applied...

where else could this be controlled?

your help greatly appreciated here.
    thanks

cheers
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     9 years ago

Hello,

A limitation of automatically adding products to the cart using the buy x get y is that if the coupon does not apply any more, the product is not deleted from the cart.

So yes, both gifts will still be in the cart. You mentioned there is a discount of 15. So only one discount is being applied and not 2. In your case, the problem seems to be the $24 free gift is just not removed. But this would not happen with AwoCoupon.