Best practice for exclusing products temporarily?

• Default avatar
    paypal4    
     10 years ago

Hi,

Assume I have a product offer that I want to temporarily exclude for Gift Certificates and Coupons.

I have a special product category and when a product if offered at a special low price, I add this product to the 'Special Offers' Category.

At that point the product is in two categories: the original product category AND the Special Offers category.

The Gift Certificates and Coupons are valid for all products in the product category but not for products in the 'Special Offers' category.

I experience that if AwoCoupon finds a product in a valid category, it accepts the GC or Coupon. This is a so called 'Least restrictive' rule.

Is it possible to also have a 'most restrictive' rule?

With a most restrictive rule, as soon as AwoCoupon finds a product in several categories, and one category is excluded, the GC or Coupon is NOT applied?

I hope I you understand what I mean.

Kind regards,
    Maurice
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     10 years ago

Hi Maurice,

Yes I do understand. The logic was recently updated in 2.2.0 to work the way you describe for excluding products, categories, etc. For exclude, it now works as the most restrictive.
    https://awodev.com/documentation/awocoupon-pro/release-notes
  • Default avatar
    paypal4    
     10 years ago

Wow, that is fantastic! Thank you so much!

IMy version is now 2.1.9 and it says 'latest version installed'. So I guess this will take some time...

Thank you again!
    Maurice
  • Default avatar
    paypal4    
     10 years ago

I have installed the latest version 2.2.0 and found that with some products it doesn't work. After investigating the matter, I found that it has to do with the category in which the product is.

When I have a product in let's say category A and in category 'Special Offers' (which is excluded from the assetst list) it works fine. The code does not work and this is what I want.

When I have a product in let's say category B and in category 'Special Offers' (which is excluded from the assetst list) it does NOT work. Now the code STILL works and I expected it to not work because the product is in 'Special Offers' too.

Could it be that the order of categories has influence on this behaviour?

Maurice
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     10 years ago

Hello Maurice,

That seems to be very inconsistent, there must be another reason the coupon is working when it should not. Are these 2 different coupons? How did you set it up?
  • Default avatar
    paypal4    
     10 years ago

Hi Seyi,

Yes it seems inconsistent indeed. It is just one coupon.

I set up a Gift Certificate template.
    - Function Type: Gift Certificate
    - Coupon Code: _TMPL_TWVP100
    - Published: Template
    - Value: 100

I selected ALL product categories except the category "Special Offers".

I did this because someone can buy the Gift Certificate with a value of 100 euro for 80 euro and I don't want people to be able to pay with a GC fordiscounted products. The discount they have is already in the GC.

So the GC should not be valid for discounted products in the "Special Offers" category,

I created a Hikashop product called "Discount Coupon" and priced it 80 euros. In AwoCoupon Gift Certificates I created the product and selected the Hikashop "Discount Coupon" product. Selected the template, selected the Profile image and published it with a 1 year expiration. Of course I've created the profile too.

So when I order the "Discount Coupon" as a customer, I get the e-mail sent from AwoCoupon with the image of the GC and the code, etc.

When I want to use the Coupons code, it does work inconsistently, like I described before.
    Some products still get the discount, even when they're in the "Special Offers" category and other products indeed do not get the discount.

I've seen that the products that do get the discount (which is the unwanted situation) are in the same category. When I move such a product to another category,it suddenly works as it should. When I move the product back, it got the same problem.

Kind regards,
    Maurice
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     10 years ago

Hi Maurice,

I believe with the include function, if it belongs to any category on the include list, it would work for that product. So in your case the only products it would not work for are products that have ONLY the category special offers.

Try changing the template to "exclude" and select the "Special offers" category in the list.