Gift Certificates and shipping

• Default avatar
    harvey    
     13 years ago

I looked for a post that would cover my issue but could not find one. I am running Joomla 1.522 and VM 1.1.4. I have set VM to give free freight for all orders over 250.00. I created a "flat rate" shipper with a set shipping cost for all orders under 250.00. There does not seem to be a way to buy a gift certificate for less than 250.000 without the flat rate being added on during checkout.

I would like to use this option. Is there a work around that would tie zero freight to the gift certificate?

Thanks,
    Harvey
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     13 years ago

Hi Harvey,

This thread might be helpful:

https://awodev.com/forum/awocoupon/help-section/shipping-option-required

There are 2 described ways of bypassing shipping when the customer is purchasing only gift certificates. One within the code, on with a virtuemart setup.
  • Default avatar
    harvey    
     13 years ago

seyi...
    I looked at the thread you suggested and this is what I have on my line 58...

if( $vendor_freeshipping > 0 && $vars['order_subtotal_withtax'] >= $vendor_freeshipping) {
    $PSHOP_SHIPPING_MODULES = Array( "free_shipping" );
    include_once( CLASSPATH. "shipping/free_shipping.php" );
    $this->_SHIPPING = new free_shipping();
    }

Do I replace this all or just the first line?

Thanks.
    Harvey
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     13 years ago

Just the first line

<?php
    if( $vendor_freeshipping && $vars['order_subtotal_withtax'] >= $vendor_freeshipping) {
    ?>

• Default avatar
    harvey    
     13 years ago

Thank you...I will give it a go and let you know how it work out.
    Harvey
  • Default avatar
    harvey    
     13 years ago

Seyi,
    Sorry to say the hack did not work for me. The flat rate shipping rate continued to be added even with putting the Gift Certificate product code in the hack. Tried it 5-6 times and no go.
    If you come up with another way around the shipping issue please post it and I will give it a try. Too bad as I thought it would be great to have during the holiday season.
    Thanks for your help and attention.
    Harvey
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     13 years ago

Hi Harvey,

Sorry to hear that. If you like, I would like to try and figure out what is wrong. The first question I have, did you enter the product id's that need to skip shipping into variable $_product_ids_to_skip_shipping? In virtuemart, on the product list, there should be an id field which tells you the id of each product.
  • Default avatar
    harvey    
     13 years ago

seyi,

Yes I did enter the product ID created by Virtuemart when I created the new product "giftcard". Followed instructions and nothing changed. I cleared the cache, shut down and cleared the computer cache, created and deleted the new product and gift card several times and nothing happened. If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them. I certainly cannot be the only one with this issue.
    Thanks for your reply and for wanting to help.

Harvey
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     13 years ago

Ok, reviewed the code, and there is one part that is inconsistent. Can you change this
    <?php
    foreach($_SESSION['cart'] as $k=>$cart) { if($k!='idx')) $_products_in_cart[] = $cart['product_id']; }
    ?>

to this
    <?php
    foreach($_SESSION['cart'] as $k=>$cart) { if(is_array($cart)) $_products_in_cart[] = $cart['product_id']; }
    ?>

And try it. You should not need to clean out cache or reload products, just try it once. If that does not work, can you pm me credentials to take a look at it?
  • Default avatar
    harvey    
     13 years ago

seyi...

The change you made how has the gift certificate working perfectly. Thank you. I am going to complete a test order to see the e-mail that is received and be sure all is good on the receivers end.

Your response is really great and much appreciated.

Regards,
    Harvey
  • Default avatar
    harvey    
     13 years ago

Well the process is working on the buyer side, the coupon is process through the checkout perfectly. I bought one and completed the sale to see what happens on the back-end. unfortunately nothing. The certificate is not listed and an e-mail was not sent. I have to stop for now and will continue to try to get this working this evening. For now, I am turning it off.

Harvey
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     13 years ago

Hi Harvey,

Glat at least something is working. For the backend. What is the order status of the order with the gift certificate? By default the gift certificate is generated and sent out when the order status is in the 'Confirmed' stage (this can be changed on the configuration page). Did your order at least hit this stage?
  • Default avatar
    harvey    
     13 years ago

The product was confirmed but no e-mail sent.
  • Default avatar
    harvey    
     13 years ago

seyi,

I reloaded everything and the program is now working perfectly on the checkout side and the admin side. The e-mail was sent and the code accepted in a test checkout. Thank you again for your assistance. Your response has been terrific and the program is well worth the upgrade to the pro version.

One additional question I have. If someone buys a certificate worth 50.00 face value and only uses 30.00 towards a purchase do they lose the 20.00 or will the program remember there is still 20.00 left to spend. I want to make this clear in my product description.

Thank you again,
    Harvey
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     13 years ago

Great!! You are welcome.

The history is kept for gift certificates. So if somebody buys a gift certificate worth 100, that gift certificate can be used continuously until the value reaches 0. Within Awocoupon->History of Uses->Gift Certificate, you can see the value remaining in a gift certificate.
  • Default avatar
    adam94    
     13 years ago

Harvey or Seyi,

I am having the same issue that Harvey had... there should be no shipping price for gift certificates.

Harvey (or Seyi if you know the answer), in this instance you said, "I reloaded everything...". What exactly did you reload in order to get Seyi's hack to work?

Please assist.

Thanks,
    Adam
  • Default avatar
    harvey    
     13 years ago

Adam,

All I did was to uninstall the extension and reinstall before making the change provided by Seyi. I did that to be sure I have a clean install in case the first one was damaged. After installing the hack I followed the instructions I hard-coded the item numbers and had no problems.
    Doesn't sound like much help but that is all I had to do. Hope you get it working as it is a great tool and works very well.

Regards,
    Harvey
  • Default avatar
    adam94    
     13 years ago

Thanks a lot Harvery for your response. I do believe I have it working properly.

Cheers,
    Adam