Sell Gift Certificates online in your Virtuemart Store
The ability so sought after is finally here!
Many entrepreneurs using Virtuemart component for their Joomla based e-store wonder how to sell gift certificates on the front end, while keeping it nice and tidy in the back end. Well, AwoCoupon provides quite a simple solution to selling gift certificates online.
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3. Really! All you need is AwoCoupon which you can find here.
Here it is in a nut shell:
As you are planning on selling a new product, you need to go to Virtuemart, and create your new product(s).
Example: add a new product called “Gift Card 10” worth $10, and another called “Gift Card 30” worth $30.
Set up a Coupon Template, which will be associated with your Gift Certificate.
Create the coupon you want to sell (can be any type of coupon not just a gift certificate). To create a coupon template, go to AwoCoupon > Coupons > New Coupon
- Coupon code : enter a meaningful name for the template, i.e. gift card 10 template
- State : select 'Template'
- Value : enter the value of the voucher
Connect the store product to AwoCoupon by creating a gift certificate product.
This is so AwoCoupon knows that this particular product is a gift certificate, and when it is bought, AwoCoupon auto-generates a gift certificate code, which is inserted into an e-mail that is auto-sent to customer. Note that you can also upload your own codes if you wish rather than using the randomly generated codes. More on this in "Settings to play with" section at the bottom.
To create a gift certificate product, go to Admin > AwoCoupon > Tools > New Gift Certificate Product.
- Product : start typing the product name of your gift card and the matching products will display in a dropdown to choose from
- Coupon Template : choose the template you set up in the Step 2 above
- Price calculation type : 3 options
- Template: the value of the voucher generated takes the value of the template
- Base price: the value of the voucher generated is the base price of the product, does not take into account any discounting
- Base price with tax: the value of the voucher generated is the base price with tax of the product, does not take into account any discounting
- Email Image : can be left blank in which case the default email template image is used. This uses the image from the email template selected, not necessarily the email content itself.
- Published : enable/disable the gift certificate product
- Expiration : if you choose, say,10 days it means that each of the vouchers will be valid
for 10 days once purchased. If the customer does not use it, s/he will loose "the money". The expiration time set
here on the Gift certificate will always take priority, unless it is left blank and the expiration time
in the template (Step 2) is set. If expiration fields are left blank, and the expiration date in the
template (Step 2) was left blank, then there is no expiration on the gift certificates. Quick table to summarize:
Template expiration date Voucher expiration date Which one is used? Filled in Filled in Voucher Blank Filled in Voucher Filled in Blank Template Blank Blank No expiration
- Coupon code prefix : prefix of generated code
- Coupon code suffix : suffix of generated code
- Personal Message From Name ID : see Product's custom fields section
- Personal Message Recipient Name ID : see Product's custom fields section
- Personal Message Recipient Email ID : see Product's custom fields section
- Personal Message Recipient Message ID : see Product's custom fields section
- Vendor Name : name of the vendor to email when a voucher is purchased
- Vendor Email : email address of the vendor to email when a voucher is purchased
If you set the price calculation to base price and have different prices for a single product, then you only need to do this once. Otherwise you would need to do this for every product you are going to sell as a gift certificate. In our example, we would repeat step 2 & 3 for our second gift certificate product we want to sell which is "Gift Card 30" worth $30.
Set the order status to trigger gift certificates.
Go to Admin > AwoCoupon > AwoCoupon > Configuration > Gift certificate product tab.
Select your confirmed order status.
Watch the sales roll in.
Settings to play with
Uploading your own codes
Once a customer buys the gift card product in your e-store, AwoCoupon auto-generates a unique random gift certificate code which is inserted into an auto-generated email. However you also have the option to import your own codes using a csv file. To do this:
To upload codes, go to Admin > AwoCoupon > Tools > Codes.
Note, once all the codes in your gift certificate product have been marked as used, AwoCoupon will switch to auto-generating random codes.
Customizing the email
The email can be largely customized. Go to Admin > AwoCoupon > Tools > Email Templates.
Set up your own email templates or make a copy of one to get a fast start. Things within your power:
- Uploading your own images (or use one of those already loaded in AwoCoupon)
- Uploading your own font styles
- Creating up to 3 text fields and placing them precisely on the gift card image
- Positioning of gift certificate code, value, expiration date (can be hidden too)
- Customizing email text, from name, from email, email subject, and whether to Bcc admin
- Using dynamic tags within the email and/or the 3 text fields
- Customize pdf
This is an example of a final product gift certificate/card, where "GIFT CARD" and "www.yourwebsite.com" are dynamically generated from text fields:
Hope you enjoy this feature, as I think it is great to be able to create multiple email templates and then just set the default to the one which corresponds with current promotion or shopping season. When multiple gift certificate products are purchased in an order linked to multiple email templates, the default email template is used, since the customer only receives one email.
Product’s custom fields – recipient details
When your customer shops in your store for a gift card, by default it is emailed directly to them. However, it is pretty safe to assume that when somebody buys a gift card it is a gift for somebody else. So by adding custom fields to the product, you can enable fields to collect gift card recipient details, allowing customers to enter some details.
To set the custom fields, go to Admin > AwoCoupon > Tools > Gift Certificate Products > New/Edit > Personal Message section.
- From Name ID : the name of the person sending the gift certificate
- Recipient Name ID : the name of the person receiving the gift certificate
- Recipient Email ID : the email address of the person receiving the gift certificate
- Recipient Message ID : the personal message to include when sending the gift certificate to the recipient
Determine what the ids are:
If something goes wrong when sending to the recipient email, then it is automatically re-routed to the customer.