[Resolved] Gift Certificate "Value Used" remains 0 after use; correct amount not deducted from order

• Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

I've created a Gift Certificate template with a value on 165 and I've included one product in the template under Assets so that the gift certificate can only be used on that product.

I've also created a Gift Certificate and applied my template and custom profile image and assigned it to the appropriate HikaShop product.

The purchase process of the gift certificate works correctly and the gift certificate is emailed to the recipient.

The problem occurs when the gift certificate is used. If I use the gift certificate on the product I specified in the Gift Cert template, the correct amount is applied in checkout which makes the total 0, but the "Value Used" does not change in "History of Use". Also, if I try to use the Gift Certificate on a product not selected in my Gift Certificate template, it still applies a discount but it seems that the Gift Certificate amount applied during checkout is always equivalent to the shipping charge ... strange.

Can you help? Thank you!

What I want is to sell a gift certificate that can only be used to purchase a specific product. The product costs $165 and the gift certificate would also be $165.

• Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

Hello,

A gift certificate naturally works on your order total, this includes
    - products in the cart
    - shipping charges

Unless you limit it. You have already limited the products to 1. In order to not apply to shipping charges, probably the easiest thing to do is to select all your shipping options when editing the coupon, and click the exclude radio button.

Ok for the second problem, so after an order has been entered in the system where a coupon has been used, are you saying it is not being listed in the history of uses section?
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

Its listed in the history of uses section, but the value used remains 0 if I use it against the included product specified in the template. I place the product in the cart which costs 165 with $5 shipping. I have a separate shipping coupon that removes the $5 shipping automatically. I then manually apply my gift certificate for 165 which correctly makes the total 0 and I checkout. But the "Value Used" in history remains 0 and I am able to reuse the gift certificate again because of this.

If I try to use it against a product not specified in the template its still letting me apply it during checkout even though I did not specify that product and its applying a strange discount amount: for example the gift certificate is 165 but it will apply a 100 discount to a 750 order and then leave a 65 balance to the gift certificate. In this scenario the value used (ie 100) is listed in the history, but the problem here is that I should not be able to use the gift certificate for this product since its not specified in the template, and I'm not sure why it would only apply a portion of the gift certificate amount either.
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

Are you referring to
    history of uses->gift certificates
    or
    history of uses->coupons

To be used the gift certificate needs to show up in history of uses->coupons

It might be easier if you send a link to a screenshot of how you set up your gift certificate template.

Also you probably should not set it up as a gift certificate, for your purposes, I would set it up as
    - function type: coupon
    - percent or amount: amount
    - value: 165
    - Number of uses: 1 total
    - Asset type: product
    - Select specific product coupon should apply for
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

Its showing up i both history of uses ->Gift Certificate and history of uses->coupons. The first one (history of uses ->Gift Certificate) is supposed to show the value used; the second (history of uses->coupons) is showing the auto-generated coupon code.

Regarding:
    Also you probably should not set it up as a gift certificate, for your purposes, I would set it up as
    - function type: coupon
    - percent or amount: amount
    - value: 165
    - Number of uses: 1 total
    - Asset type: product
    - Select specific product coupon should apply for

I did originally set it up this way, and it was working much better. The only problem was the "Number of uses: 1 total" was not working. I was able to use the coupon more than once in most cases. Only once in several tests did a coupon become unpublished after it was used and nothing was changed to the coupon setup between tests. I'm not sure why the number of uses restriction was not being honored.

That's when I swapped to the Gift certificate function type that was 'suppose' to monitor the value used and become disabled once the full value was consumed.
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

Yes, there seems to be a general error of some sort with totals being honored.

Please pm me temporary admin and ftp access to look at it.
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

Ok - I've just sent credentials over to you.
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

Have you had a chance to take a look at the issue?
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

Hello,

Was trying to have a look now, when I try to log into the admin section I get this error message
    "You do not have access to the administrator section of this site."

Can you make the user an admin?

Also can you point me at a coupon code that should be used up but is still being accepted?
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

The user is an admin now. Also, this coupon/gift certificate is one - ds56cHXPN3
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

Ok, I took a look.

ds56cHXPN3 was originally used in order 32 to discount the shipping charges, which was for $100. That means there is $65 remaining.

I added the kit product in the cart and tried the coupon and it deducts $65, which is correct. Is there any other codes causing problems?

For the coupon template, I edited it by selecting all the shipping charges and exclude them. This will work but requires maintenance, if you add new shipping options, you will need to update the template.

It is best to use the second template I created, which is just a coupon with a usage total of 1.
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

This is still a problem. ds56cHXPN3 should have only been valid for the dna kit product. I first used it for the dna kit product and the full $165 was applied and my total was 0. I then noticed that the full $165 still remained even though I had already used it. So I tried to use it again against other products, which should not have worked because these products were not selected in the coupon template, which is when order 32 was created. Order 32 was a $750 order including a $100 shipping charge. I applied the coupon code and it deducted only $100 of the $165 and left $65 remaining for that code. That makes no sense. First of all, the code should've no longer worked after I used it the first time; secondly, the code shouldn't have worked on the second order because I purchased products that weren't valid for that coupon; and thirdly, why was only $100 of the $165 applied? Its not a shipping coupon.
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

What order did you use the code on previously? Because according to the history of uses screen, it was only ever used on order number 32. If the order is not on history of uses->coupons, it is not accounted for.

Furthermore, a gift certificate by definition works on products and shipping. So to exclude shipping, you have to specify so. This was not setup in your gift certificate and I have corrected it. It should not be a problem going forward.
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

The coupon was also used on order 31. You can see it listed in the order details. So I'm not sure why AwoCoupon is not listing it under history of uses; that's why I'm asking you.

Regarding:
    "Furthermore, a gift certificate by definition works on products and shipping. So to exclude shipping, you have to specify so. This was not setup in your gift certificate and I have corrected it. It should not be a problem going forward."

-- I think you are misunderstanding the point I was trying to make. I'm not questioning why shipping was discounted, but I'm questioning why only $100 of a $165 valued-coupon is applied to a $750 order and leaving a balance of $65. Why would the full coupon not be consumed, since the total is clearly more than the coupon value?
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

[sorry to keep posting this comment, but I'm afraid you won't see it if its not at the bottom]

Hi,

I just tested the template you created - "Gift Cert 165 template 2"

I purchased the gift certificate and coupon 'SQDYg7G2evF' was generated. I created order #34 and used the coupon code which made my order total 0, correctly. But, as you can see from the backend, that coupon is still published and its not appearing in "History of Use".

It seems to be an issue with orders that have a 0 total, maybe.
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

Ok, in order number 32, the shipping cost is $100. This is why $100 was deducted, and since the product purchased is not on the list of valid products, it could not deduct the product amount.
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

I am having a look at this now. Yes, I see what you mean about not being entered into the history of uses. Will post back my findings.
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

The problem occurs because it is a free order. Hikashop has a plugin that is triggered when the order is free that totally clears out the sessions. This is great but the problem is it is called before AwoCoupon has the chance to record the usage and clean its session. So when AwoCoupon is called, the session is not there and AwoCoupon does nothing.

I have fixed this by reordering your plugins, so that the Free order validation plugin is called after AwoCoupon, which should ensure that the history of uses is filled out for all orders.

Please test, post back if you find any problems.
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

Ahhh, ok! Makes sense now! Thanks!
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

Yay!! Looks like all is right! Thank you so much for being patient and working with me to figure this out! AwoCoupon is a 'must-have' extension with HikaShop!!
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

@seyi - This is working great, but now we have an issue with shipping charges. We charge a $35 international shipping fee for the dna kit so when a gift certificate is purchased internationally we need to also collect the $35 shipping charge with that purchase and then the gift certificate recipient needs to use the gift certificate for the $165 kit as well as the $35 shipping charge. I tried making the template you created a 100 percent value rather than the 165 amount, but when I apply the gift certificate as a recipient the shipping charge is not deducted only the product.

So, how can I specify shipping charges in the coupon template or is there another way to make this work? Can a parent coupon work if I make the template and a shipping coupon child items under the parent?
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

Yes, exactly, a parent coupon will work for this.
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

I tried creating a Parent coupon, but its not letting me add the coupon template to the parent. How would I go about setting this up so that when the gift certificate is used AND international shipping is being added to the order the shipping coupon is auto-triggered?
  • Default avatar
    3by400Inc    
     11 years ago

Ok, I think I've figured it out. I made the template the parent and applied the shipping coupon and 165 coupon to that parent. Seems to work.

One other question - When an automatic coupon is applied, the coupon code says "(Discount)". My client would like that wording changed so its more clear to the customer what the discount is for. Where would I change that language string? I haven't found it in the language overrides or in the awocoupon language files.
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

Glad you got it working. If using the latest version of AwoCoupon, it is in the admin language file for AwoCoupon, the string is
    COM_AWOCOUPON_CP_DISCOUNT_AUTO