help needed parent coupon % discount and free shipping not working together

• Default avatar
    colin    
     11 years ago

help needed parent coupon % discount and free shipping not working together

hi my site is set up to use the parent coupon option to combine a % discount and free shipping

the discount is working fine but it is not offering free shipping

i have had to take my clients site offline as they can not have it live with a coupon that does not work please let me know how to send login details securely please
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

The problem ended up being Virtuemart and changing the checkout steps all into 1 page. Virtuemart is not able to handle a true one page checkout, which is the reason for many of the 3rd party extensions.
  • Default avatar
    melaina    
     11 years ago

Hi Seyi

hope you can help, I am also using the parent coupon to create give a free product and free shipping. The free shipping part of my parent coupon is not working, the discount is simply not being applied to the shipping though the product coupon is being applied correctly. I tested the shipping coupon on its own and it works fine but when the parent coupon is used the shipping coupon does not work.

I am running:
    VM 1.1.5
    AWO Coupon 1.5.0
    Parent coupon process type = only if all applied

Happy to PM or mail you login details

thanks in advance!
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

Hello,

Since you send a private message with access, I took a look. Your parent coupon was set on 'first found match'. I changed it to 'all that applies'.

I noticed that your product coupon is set for one category, big mural
    And your shipping coupon is set to give a 65 amount discount only if you have certain products in the shopping cart.

I added 'Big Flowers', entered the code, and received 360 off. Then after I selected the shipping I received another 65 off, for a total of 425. So I think it is working.

One note, if you have it set to 'only if all applies', then you would have to first select shipping before entering the coupon code, otherwise it would fail.
  • Default avatar
    melaina    
     11 years ago

Thanks for taking a look Seyi. I am testing it again since you managed to use it ok but I not having any luck. This time the problem is a bit different. When I put in a coupon code it is not being recognised by the cart and the field to put in a coupon code remains visible (i tried a few times to put in the coupon code). So I cleared my cache but still having the same problem. I tried in firefox, chrome, safari, internet explorer and its the same for all of them. I used voucher code testparent1, testparent2, and testparent3

I also wanted to see if it would let me use the same code twice but I did not get to test this because I could not get to put the code in the first time around. I need to ensure that the same code can only be used once and on one product only (they must not be able to order 2 products and get 100% off). When you check this out can you please also let me know how to set that up?

many thanks
    Melaina
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

Ok, I took a look and you set up the parent coupons as 'templates'. Templates are not real coupons and are for copying. For example you can use a template in the 'generate coupons' function. You should change them all back to being 'published' instead of templates.

For your second question, yes the coupon code will discount as many valid products as they enter into the cart. You can avoid this by setting the quantity within value definition. So something like this:
    qty value
    1 100
    2 0
  • Default avatar
    melaina    
     11 years ago

Changed templates to published and now the coupon works in the shop cart - thank you :-)

For restricting the number of products that get discounted your solution works :-)
    I also restricted the use for the parent coupon to 1 so it cannot be used more than once

One more question - this time about the free shipping child / asset coupon. I tested to see if I can add 2 products (one for which the discount coupon works and another product that does not have a discount). The free shipping unfortunately gets applied to both products where it should only be applied to the one that is listed as a product in the freeshipping coupon.
    How can I make it do that?

Something that I noticed that is a bit weird is that my flat shipping rate is R65 but when the parent coupon is used the shipping amount shown in the shop cart is suddenly R130. The shipping is discounted completely (100%) so its not a show stopper, I would just like to know where I can set that amount to show as R65 (not R130) as some shoppers may get confused.

• Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

Hello,

What do you mean the free shipping gets applied to both products?
    Do you mean:
    - if just the valid product is in the shopping cart you want the shipping coupon to apply
    - if the valid product and other products that are not part of the coupon are in the cart then the shipping coupon should not apply
    If so set the discount type to specific

For the problem with shipping, this is caused with how you set up the flex shipping.
    You set:
    - handling fee to 65
    - charge of flat rate if the order total is 65 or less
    So, if the order total is less than 65, the total is 65+65=130
    If the order is over 65, then just the handling fee gets charged.

I have updated it to
    - handling fee of 0
    - charge flat rate if the order total is less than 99999999

That issue is fixed