[Resolved] Buy this - Get That, with coupon and without

• Default avatar
    steve9    
     12 years ago

It seems to me that AWO Coupon Pro is uniquely suited to perform this task: Buy This, Get That.

Specific example: Our client has a sharpening tool they sell and wants to give away free abrasives with it. So their customer would add the main product (the 'buy this' product) to the cart and get the other product for $0. If customer changed qty on the main product, the 'get that' product would change accordingly. If customer tried to change the qty of the 'get that' product they would get an error message so they couldn't cheat the cart and get free product.

Our client would like to be able to set this up so it would happen automatically. But you could give AWO users the option to make it happen automatically or upon entering of discount code.

Your thoughts?
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     12 years ago

Hi Steve,

This might be helpful:
    http://www.webshopdesign.ro/tutorials/virtuemart/buy-x-get-y-hack-for-virtuemart-112.html

AwoCoupon is a coupon module. This means it cannot act also as an automatic discount module. That really is a totally different beast. I have looked into a buy x get y feature, but have never come up with a way to do it that fits into AwoCoupon. The idea would be you could setup a buy x get y in the backend, and in the front end, the user would have to add both x and y to the cart as well as enter the coupon code. If just x is added, then no discount, if just y is added, then no discount. If both are added then 1 y is free. In this way, dont have to worry about the customer manipulating the cart.
  • Default avatar
    deborah0    
     12 years ago

Hello -

I wanted to mention here that you can do this by combining Seyi's fabulous AWO Coupons PRO extension with our VirtueMart Purchasing Rules extension. We've integrated AWO as our preferred coupon extension, which allows you to do the following:

- Set up a business logic Rule in Purchasing Rules that says if a customer makes a certain qualifying purchase (by quantity, category, etc.), then a coupon should be triggered.

- A unique AWO Coupon can be generated on the fly when the qualifying items are added to the cart. You would set this up as a coupon "template" in AWO and a unique coupon is automatically created for each customer

- The coupon can be automatically applied to the cart with no action required by the customer.

- You can also choose to also email an automatically generated coupon upon final checkout, based on a qualifying purchase (uses AWO email function)

- If the customer removes the qualifying items before checkout, Purchasing Rules removes the coupon from the cart and invalidates it. This keeps customers from "gaming the system"

So what you want to do is possible through the integration of our business logic Purchasing Rules engine and the power of the AWO Coupons PRO. We've had some customers do some very creative marketing campaigns with these two components together. Especially now that AWO has parent coupons, it's a powerful combination.

You can read more about our extension here: https://polishedgeek.com/paid-extensions/virtuemart-purchasing-rules/overview-a-features.html?amigosid=3

Regards,
    ~ Deb Cinkus, CEO of Polished Geek
  • Default avatar
    bernhard    
     12 years ago

Hi Seyi, so is it right that there is meanwhile an existing solution without hack as Deb mentioned (her post was more than a month after yours ...).

I have a very similar task.

Thanks
    Bernhard
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     12 years ago

Hi Bernhard,

I would go with the non hackish method written by deb. It is alot easier (and cleaner) than using the hack link I posted.
  • Default avatar
    bernhard    
     12 years ago

Thanks Seyi,
    then we will do it this way.

Done + it Works !

Bernhard
  • Default avatar
    dtws2008    
     12 years ago

you said: "Set up a business logic Rule in Purchasing Rules that says if a customer makes a certain qualifying purchase (by quantity, category, etc.), then a coupon should be triggered."

I purchased the extension specifically for this ability and can't find a way to setup a rule relating to awocoupon or any other coupon. Where am I wrong?
  • Your avatar
    seyi    
     11 years ago

AwoCoupon Pro 1.x and 2.x have the Buy X Get Y functionality. Using this method, the customer has to manually add the Get Y product to receive the discount.

AwoCoupon Pro 2.x now has the option of adding the Get Y products to the cart automatically for these special coupons.